Copyright © 2021 PostCity Financial Credit Union. All rights reserved.
Top ATM Safety Tips
ATMs offer a quick and convenient way to access your money. However, keep these tips in mind to ensure you and your money stay safe:
- Try to use an ATM located inside an open business, whenever possible. A public setting will help deter any potential criminal activity.
- If possible, avoid using an ATM during nighttime hours, and don't use one if you see suspicious people around it.
- Maintain an awareness of your surroundings throughout the entire transaction. Be wary of people trying to help you with ATM transactions. Be aware of anyone sitting in a parked car nearby. When leaving an ATM, make sure you are not being followed. If you are, drive immediately to a police, fire station or crowded well-lit location or business.
- Do not use an ATM that appears unusual or offers options with which you are not familiar or comfortable.
- Do not allow people to look over your shoulder as you enter your PIN.
- Memorize your PIN and never write it on the back of your card.
- When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, your doors locked and leave enough room to maneuver between your car and the car ahead of you.
- Prepare all transaction paperwork prior to your arrival at the ATM to minimize the amount of time spent at the machine.
- Don't withdraw large amounts of cash at once, and always take your receipt with you.
- If you do find yourself in a robbery situation, comply and give the robber the money. Get to a safe area and call 911.